Saturday, September 12, 2009

Heirloom Tomato Tart

I love a savory tart for dinner - of course, I love most excuses to eat pastry, and this excuse was that two tomatoes from the plant outside my window were ready to be eaten:
The tomatoes in question are a bicolor heirloom called a Striped German Tomato. I bought the plant at a local garden shop at the beginning of summer.

The tart started with a cornmeal crust that I chilled overnight:

Once the crust was rolled out, I picked and sliced a few leaves of fresh basil from outside my window, and also chopped a bit of garlic:

I then sliced and layered the tomatoes, basil and garlic over shredded cheese in the crust:

And served wedges of tart with gently sauteed kale and a salad of grilled eggplant, garlic and onion in a yogurt based sauce (tastier than it sounds, I promise)

No comments:

Post a Comment