Saturday, September 12, 2009

Heirloom Tomato Tart Recipe

I've been asked for the recipe for the heirloom tomato tart I posted earlier today. As I wasn't using a recipe, some of the following is estimated.

The first step to a tasty tart is a tasty crust. I always make my own:
Sift together:
1 1/4 c. flour
1/4 c. cornmeal (if you don't want a cornmeal crust, omit the cornmeal and increase the flour to 1 1.2 c.)
1 t. sugar
1/2 t. salt

cut in, until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs:
2 T. cold butter, cut into chunks
1/4 c. shortening (if you have time to measure this earlier and chill it, all the better)

Stir in about 1/4 c. ice water just until the mixture all holds together. pat into a circle, wrap in plastic wrap and chill until ready to use, at least half an hour.


Next: the filling!


Once your crust is chilled, roll it out and place it in a 9" removable bottom tart pan and set aside.
Grate a good chunk of cheese (whatever you like with tomato is fine. sometimes I'm in the mood for a nice cheddar, other times I want gruyere), enough to cover the bottom of the tar fully, and spread this over the crust. You'll probably need a cup or more.

Chop some fresh basil and garlic and sprinkle over the cheese.

Finely slice 2 medium tomatoes and layer over the fillings.

Bake @400 for about 25 minutes, or until done.

4 comments:

  1. Fantastic! The tomatoes are so good right now, it's fun to let them be the star of the meal. And I think that eggplant-yogurt salad sounds pretty darn tasty, too. Thanks for stopping by my new blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by here as well - and remember when you make this one that you can do almost anything on a tasty crust as a base. Let me know if you're interested in the eggplant recipe - I can dig that up as well. Your breath will be terrible but it is TASTY!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for posting this! Much appreciated. -S

    ReplyDelete
  4. de rien! We can talk variations whenever you want to be cooking...

    ReplyDelete