Thursday, October 8, 2009

Popovers and Boeuf Bourguignon

I've seen and heard a lot this summer about Boeuf Bourguignon, but I had never attempted the dish. A few Sundays ago, I decided that I would try this recipe, a version that doesn't include peeling any pearl onions, and realized that the perfect side dish would be popovers. I tried a new recipe for those as well, from King Arthur Flour:

The finished Boeuf:

I had to start the Boeuf Bourguignon hours before dinner, with bacon and onions:

Meat was browned and coated with flour, and then stock and red wine were poured over and a bouquet garni was added to the mix:

Three hours and a handful of chopped mushrooms later, the pot of the stove had perfumed the apartment and we were very much ready to eat, even though this stew wasn't about to win any beauty pageants:

With dinner almost ready to serve, I mixed my popovers: room temperature eggs, milk and melted butter, mixed with a bit of flour:

Until it resembles thin pancake batter. I poured the batter into a well buttered muffin tin and left the drips to show just how thin this batter should be:

Fresh out of the oven, they were the perfect light, eggy choice for the rich beef stew:

No comments:

Post a Comment