Sunday, January 16, 2011

(Almost Vegan) Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies

I altered the recipe for these delicious and (almost) healthy cookies from another running food blogger, Vegan by Valerie:
Although I'm not vegan (or even vegetarian) I love Valerie's site because she always considers nutrition and how she is going to be fueling her body for her running.

The recipe works like one for a quickbread. First, the dry (note - instead of using pumpkin pie spice, I used a combination of cinnamon, cloves, ginger and nutmeg):

and then the wet ingredients (note - here I used pumpkin puree I had made from a fresh pumpkin rather than canned, and I used an egg rather than egg replacer after speaking to a vegan friend. Incidentally, my vegan friend told me the egg would probably taste better than any replacement I could try):

Mix it all together, add your chocolate chips and bake!
Full Recipe:

Ingredients:

1 1/4 c. whole wheat pastry flour (or regular whole wheat flour)

1/2 tsp. baking soda

1 tsp. baking powder

spices: about 1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon, 1 tsp. ginger, 1/4 tsp. nutmeg and 1/4 t. cloves

1/2 tsp. salt

1/4 c. sugar

1/2 c. pumpkin puree

1/4 c. maple syrup

2 tsp. vanilla extract

2 T. canola oil or coconut oil

1 egg (large)

about 3/4 c. chocolate chips

Instructions:

1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.

2. Combine all dry ingredients

3. Combine all wet ingredients and whisk until smooth

4. Slowly add in the dry ingredients to the wet, stirring until fully mixed in.

5. Stir in the chocolate chips.

6. Form sticky balls from the dough (tablespoon size at least, I like mine larger) and place on buttered or oiled cookie sheets

7. Bake for 12-13 minutes, or until cookies are cooked through.

No comments:

Post a Comment